Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Game: Zevenaar

Apologies for the lack of posting. The past couple of weeks have been very full.

First: shoutout to my sister for graduating college. I don't post a lot about family here but my sister is one of the most ambitious and hard-working people I know, and she's going to make a top-notch surgeon one day. Although I can't take any credit for her success, I am damn proud of all that she's done.

Second: Lieutenant Sarcasm came to visit Berlin and we attempted to hit many highlights of the city, which is a bit difficult because there's just so much stuff that's all spread around geographically. Then last week I was traveling from Wednesday to Sunday: first a trip to the Rhine-Ruhr region (Ruhrgebiet) and then a weekend in Paris.

Third: The end of the quarter is coming up so there's a lot of work to catch up on and final assignments and exams for which to prepare--so today, taking it a bit easier with a game.

The game is a poem. For the form we will be taking the Zevenaar, which is a seven-line form about which you can read more here. That page is in German, so as a further explanation:

1 - setting: time and place
2 - the plot, using first person
3 - question or comparison
4 - a detail
5 - go deeper into the detail
6 - line 1
7 - line 2

For a topic, pick your favorite photo you've taken in the past two weeks. Since I've been taking a whole lot more photos than usual, and like different ones for different reasons, I will add the additional optional constraint of having the photo match the song I'm currently listening to.

Go forth!

-

My attempt below. I'm going to try to write in German first.

Photo:

Song:

Blue Sky Thinking - Monuments

An einem grauen Tag im industriellen Herz Deutschlands
Bekomme ich das Blutgeld
Schweigen ist wie Schwerkraft
Die Wolken blockieren Sonne und Schall
Als die Maschinen drehen sich um und immer um
An einem grauen Tag im industriellen Herz Deutschlands
Bekomme ich das Blutgeld

On a gray day in the industrial heart of Germany
I receive blood money
Silence is like gravity
The clouds block sun and sound
As the machines turn and turn about
On a gray day in the industrial heart of Germany
I receive blood money

...this is somewhat grim. I'm going to try again.

Photo:

Song:

Regenbogen - Wincent Weiss

Frühling in Paris
Ich denke immer an dich
Was bedeutet dieses Wort, Liebe?
Ein Blick entlang die Straße--brauche ich nur Perspektive?
Aber alles kommt wieder zurück zu dir, obwohl ich noch nicht kann
Frühling in Paris
Ich denke immer noch an dich

Paris in the spring
I am always thinking of you
What does this word mean, love?
A glance along the street--do I just need perspective?
But everything comes back to you, although I cannot yet
Paris in the spring
I am still thinking of you

...don't read too much into it.

-

If you do this, I'd love to see it. Enjoy.

-

We wrote some Zevenaars in German class which I quite liked. I've misplaced the original paper, so here are paraphrased translations:

In a small city in the west of Poland
I saw the word "Amadeus"
What does that mean today?
Classical music is my favorite kind
The instruments sing softly through time
In a small city in the west of Poland
I saw the word "Amadeus"

This was a collaborative one--we each wrote a line and then passed it along.

Last year under a blue sky
I mowed the grass
But why should I do this?
Every day, every month it will grow back
Everything must be put in order once again
Today under a blue sky
I mow the grass

This was mine (inspired by an ad in the station for a lawn mower). Actually quite disappointed to lose the original, because I think the original phrasing flowed better.

No comments:

Post a Comment