Saturday, May 14, 2016

Ascension Weekend

I haven't really posted any photos (whether to here or to other social media). We had a four-day weekend last Thursday to Sunday, with glorious weather. Here are some highlights:

Thursday 05 May - Museuminsel

My favorite Romans at the Altes Museum:
Augustus
Agrippa
Livia

I spent a solid twenty minutes cycling among these pieces. What a strange sense of historical vertigo to read the words “Kaiser Augustus”–because Kaiser comes from Caesar, a title that only came to be adopted as a signifier of power because of everything Augustus did to win and consolidate both power and auctoritas during his lifetime. Festina lente, and like a tectonic plate, you will move the earth.

Monk by the Sea - Caspar David Friedrich
Frederick the Great Flute Concert at Sanssouci
Some amazing pieces from the Alte Nationalgalerie. Caspar David Friedrich's art makes me feel as though time is long enough that we can breathe. When I saw the Flute Concert through the hall I may or may not have gasped out loud and rushed to get a closer look at it. The painting was done well after FtG's time, and the audience in the painting is not actually that attentive to their King. Friedrich the Great may be becoming one of my Mana Personalities. Certainly I want to write a short story about him.

// I also went through the Neues Museum and the Pergamon Museum, but the pictures don't seem to want to upload.

Friday 06 May - Grunewald

The weather was too good to stay inside another day. Hence going for long walks in Grunewald.
Teufelsberg
Teufelsberg reminded me of Spirited Away. One could set a good story here.

Lake in Grunewald
Not shown: many adorable dogs splashing around in the water.

Saturday 07 May - Potsdam

We went to Potsdam for the field trip "class" near the beginning of the quarter but didn't really see any of it. This time, I still didn't see much beyond Sanssouci, but it was glorious.
Sanssouci
Apparently the University of Potsdam has administrative offices in the buildings to the left. Imagine!

Fake Ruins built for FtG
Fake ruins. Fake ruins?! Friedrich the Great had these built on the hill across from the main entrance of Sanssouci, presumably to remind him of the transience of empires. The greater effect may have been to show other people that he was thinking of such things. The more I think about it, the less sense it makes. Friedrich was a complex person, with a very particular sense of humor which I am sure confused even other Prussians.

Sunday 08 May - a park

Not sure exactly where I wound up, since I had dinner near the Botanischer Garten S-Bahn stop and then took a long walk. Looking at Google Maps this was probably Bäkepark. Whatever it was, I saw foxes.

Foxes!

In other news:
-Lieutenant Sarcasm is visiting me!
-my sister is graduating college!
-next week I'll be out of Berlin for an extended period of time again, from 18 May to 22 May. I only have a month left in Berlin--where did the time go?

1 comment:

  1. Looks like a good time wandering around. I know an embarrassing amount of German history.

    ReplyDelete