Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Indonesia First Impressions

I like it here.

Everyone that I've met at the office is terrifically friendly. The organization I'm working for does incredible work all across the country yet it still feels very much like a family business, especially since all the interns are living in the executive director's house.

Even during Ramadhan you can get three different and delicious kinds of noodles for lunch. The food is pretty fantastic in general, spicier than I am used to but so good that I don't mind much.

Jet lag kept me fairly tired the first few days.

Many, many malls everywhere, from the kind that's filled with little booths selling shirts and pants and wallets for cheap, to the expensive shiny ones filled with international designers.

A lot of mosques. Not surprising in a country that is 87% Muslim. The calls to prayer have stopped taking me quite so much by surprise.

The project is going slowly. Using a virtual machine means a lot of yak shaving.

I have been in email conversation with a mentor (my senior year English teacher, also known as the one who got me to change my perspective on the value of literature) and thinking about how this summer might change me and what degree of control I have in how I change. No solid answers as yet.

A lot of reading. Yesterday I finished The Day Lasts More than a Hundred Years, by Chingiz Aitmatov. Stunning. A good book to read on vacation because for me, vacation books are immersive, complex ones that would be confusing if you read them strung out.

Not as much writing. At the office I am working (except for right now, because it's near the end of the day) and at home, it doesn't feel right to be on my computer. But I will do so, because the Ubermadchen have been very patient with me.

Still figuring out what to do with all of my free time between work and dinner. May consult my fellow interns. Of course writing is a good option but while I'm here, I might as well do things that I can't do at home.

--

Apologies for missing Friday's post. I'll try to keep to the two posts a week schedule, if only as a check to make sure I'm thinking and reflecting and processing these experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment