Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Year in Review: 2013

Long, self-centered post ahead. Reflecting on what I've done and what I still have to do. It's been a very long year, with some months (March and October) where I wanted to hide under a table. But there were also high points, and, in any case, I've gotten through it. Hurrah!

Writing finished:
  • The Guts of Warfare: Civil War essay about logistics, supplies, etc which I wrote in January for the Gilder Lehrman contest. Includes a huge section on TOTAL WAR. I might post it later.
  • Orsolya (Unwise Ones): my second finished novel! Clocks in at 167000 words. Took up most of my writing year. Synopsis: Peacekeeper Orsolya rescues Prince Nikodim and uncovers a plot involving mind magic. Features characters from my GW storyline.
  • Rara Avis: a short story of about 10000 words that I wrote this month. Hannah, an unloved girl, realizes she can no longer stay.
  • College essays: so glad to be done. As Snively says, "If at the end of the application process you feel relieved instead of enriched, then you missed an excellent opportunity to learn about yourself." I feel both.

Current projects:
  • Vinyl Eel: a series of essays about school--I realize I have a lot of advice that future generations of students might find useful
  • Protagonist Club: it's been on unofficial hiatus for the past few months since Lieutenant Sarcasm and I have both been super busy; I want to keep working on it, though
  • revising Rara Avis
  • researching Ubermadchen: an as-yet unplotted novel(la?) about a group of girls being trained illegally in magic in the Age of Metternich
  • creating myself: it's an ongoing process

Optimus (Best Posts):

Personal:
  • learning how to code (finishing LPtHW)
  • getting my driver's permit and doing 50 hours (drive test in another week or so, wish me luck!)
  • being principal euphonium for district honor band
  • helping the Teal Knight with assistant drum major tryouts
  • self-studying Calculus with the BC League
  • making it through the mountains (see above)
  • winning the Scrivo in Italiano writing contest
  • getting reelected to band staff
  • leading a band camp team to defeat (Frosted Flakes forever!)
  • getting over it (see above, The Sinusoidal Path /*or my Common App essay*/)
  • becoming involved in robotics on programming division
  • college apps //still need to figure out the morality of using a college counselor
  • using Google Docs for everything
  • leading a volunteer club and recruiting tons of idealistic freshmen
  • going to Hawaii
  • distancing myself from what is not me
  • figuring out that Augustus Caesar is my hero

Best Books:





Defining Music:
  • Unbreakable - Three Days Grace
  • In My Remains - Linkin Park
  • Calma e Sangue Freddo - Luca Dirisio
  • Welcome to the Masquerade - Thousand Foot Krutch
  • Alone Not Lonely - Evans Blue
  • Paradise - Coldplay
  • Video Games - Lana del Rey
  • Tightrope - Walk the Moon
  • Don't Stop - InnerPartySystem
  • Second Suite in F - Gustav Holst
  • Counting Stars - OneRepublic
  • Sail - Awolnation
  • Nothing in My Way - Keane
  • Sonnenbarke - Einsturzende Neubauten
  • Intro - the XX
  • Sea Fog - Keane
  • I Just Wanted to Make You Something Beautiful - Industries of the Blind
  • Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger - Daft Punk
//I should probably just make a playlist or something.

Preparation for 2014:

The usual logbook and calendar.

Wow, this has been a busy year. Second semester junior year, first semester senior year. I can't quite believe it. In fact, I have not processed that I graduate high school in another five months and that a year from now I'll have one semester of college under my belt. I'm writing the words, and they have no meaning.

I have no idea where I'll end up in the fall. 2014 is a huge mystery to me, the part of the map emblazoned with "Here there be dragons." But I shall forge ahead, and keep telling all about it.

-

Friday's post will probably be about the vacation I've just had. Thanks for sticking with me another year.

2 comments:

  1. A great and direct piece of information. Hats off to the author for gathering so specific and spot on information.
    the applause in the comments do the justice. Great piece of information.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, long time no speak! The best of luck to you for all that comes ahead, and kudos on all the writing you did, on the successes (how about that italian writing contest uh? i want to know about that!) and on how well you took the very few failures. 2014 is going to be a super exciting year for you so..be ready! xx

    ReplyDelete