Friday, November 8, 2013

Good Hunting

I come bearing gifts.

Polish Grand Theatre - Marcin Zalewski
(source)

My favorite short story: Princess Lucinda and the Hound of the Moon by (who else?) Theodora Goss

Also from Goss: A Sense of Longing and Revising Fairies (posts I dug out of the archives) and Planting a Magical Garden. And a poem from her Poems of the Fantastic and Macabre site: The Forsaken Merman by Matthew Arnold.

You are welcome: The Complete Sherlock Holmes and Zen in the Art of Writing.

Found after I read 1001 Nights: The Thousand and Second Tale of Scheherazade, by Edgar Allan Poe.

Paul Graham: You Weren't Meant to Have a Boss:
I suspect that working for oneself feels better to humans in much the same way that living in the wild must feel better to a wide-ranging predator like a lion. Life in a zoo is easier, but it isn't the life they were designed for...The root of the problem is that humans weren't meant to work in such large groups.

In Over Your Head: Trail, which I have been rereading periodically over the past month whenever I feel hopeless/like a hack. The relevant lines are not particularly original:
I, personally, have moved on. I am rebuilding myself in another image.

When was the last time you did so? Do you remember when you last shed your skin?

Anyway, I wish you luck with what you are working on. Let’s keep fighting the good fight. I’m rooting for you.
However, they were/continue to be exactly what I need to hear.

More from IOYH: Tornado:
If you are ever panicking before something you see as cataclysmic, it’s probably cataclysmic because you haven’t thought it through, or planned, or worked on it enough.

If you have planned enough, you should be significantly calmer.
(Good to keep in mind for college apps.)

Speaking of college: What Trains Make Me Think Of, by Emad T '14:
I've just really grown to like trains. They're a nice way to get around, because you leave the driving to someone else, and get a decent amount of legroom (and time to yourself) in the process. That, I think, is a detail that can get lost if you see such travel time as time that becomes irredeemable and forever lost in service of some other stuff you have to do, rather than as a vacancy in your schedule that's dedicated to you.

I guess the same thing applies to any period where you find yourself waiting. Are you truly inconvenienced by some delay, or have you just not thought of some way to take care of yourself - or embark on some self-improvement - that you could be doing right then and there?

Also: the Senseable City Lab sounds amazing. And Anna Ho bringing it as usual with Vertigo:
As a researcher, you can get obsessed with and trapped in your little specialty bubble. You can spend YOUR ENTIRE LIFE studying one celestial object! I've been in a bubble, simply by spending two summers at one institution, in one field - imagine what it's like in graduate school and deeper in academia...I feel a little shaken, now that I'm aware of just how ignorant I was (and probably continue to be) about the breadth of research specialties out there. But there's a battle to fight both in advocating for the importance of undergraduate research, and frankly STEM research in general - and we're so much more effective when we can advocate for each other as well as for ourselves. So, I would encourage any researcher to make an effort to attend colloquia outside your field, and take full advantage of your wider environment. Don't be embarrassed to ask the "I really don't know anything about this subject; please educate me" questions, because people are REALLY happy to share knowledge. Your brain may hurt now, but it - and the next generations of scientists - will thank you later.
(Emphasis mine.)

Politely coughing, I offer the rival Institute's alumni magazine: Engineering & Science, from Caltech. Some pretty cool articles.

Turning a bit to an old Justine Musk post encouraging creators to die empty. And a new Justine Musk post about virgin goddesses as an expression of power:
Virgin meant a woman free of attachment. No spouse, no kids. She was complete unto herself: whole, autonomous and self-sufficient.
(Also fitting because I recently read House of Hades, by Rick Riordan.)

Speaking of Riordan: an interview with Jonathan Stroud. I'm trying to figure out what exactly it is in common with these two authors' works that is so compelling. Middle grade fantasies with one foot in the real world and snarky main characters and actual character depth? Perhaps. It's always nice when your favorite authors are fans of one another.

On a completely different note, underwater cities.
Ancient City in Qiandao Lake
(source)

A blog with awesome travel photos: Odds and Ends.

Also: a Michael Shermer article on modular brains:
There is no unified "self" that generates internally consistent and seamlessly coherent beliefs devoid of conflict. Instead we are a collection of distinct but interacting modules often at odds with one another. The module that leads us to crave sweet and fatty foods in the short term is in conflict with the module that monitors our body image and health in the long term. The module for cooperation is in conflict with the one for competition, as are the modules for altruism and avarice or the modules for truth telling and lying.
Why am I putting this link here instead of at my more STEM blog? Because my WIP Orsolya depends on mind magic and I need to know how the brain works so I don't get something disastrously wrong. Of course, in ten years it may look that way anyway, but I'll take that risk.

Since I never tire of MBTI stuff: INTJ strengths/weaknesses and in the workplace. The INTJ manager part = me during band camp.

Yet I am somewhat conflicted: am I an INTP? Type Differences makes me lean more toward J, but all the INTP descriptions I read sound like me. And this is me all over:
(source)
An INFJ analysis because my best friend is one.

Not directly MBTI-related, but found via the Tumblr INTJ-paradigm: guide to interpreting eye contact. I find it interesting, and somewhat perturbing, that submissiveness is correlated with attraction.

Some practical stuff/informative articles from the blog kept by a friend of mine:
Still practical: Personal Finance Advice on an index card, and Sleep Problems Solutions.

No comments:

Post a Comment