Saturday, November 3, 2012

Go Deep

Sorry for the late post. It's been a long week, and looks to be staying that way - I'm going back to posting only on Fridays for now.

Lately, I haven't felt as though I've been able to sit down and take stock, to course correct, &c. Every once in a while, it's necessary to review, and lately I haven't been doing that. In the everyday rush, I've been forgetting to live as though I'm in a story; I've been a water glider instead of a shark.

I suspect that, if I am not careful, I could fall into the patterns of freshman year. School will eat me if I let it.

How do I keep my soul away from the meat grinder?

On the weekends, it's easy. I sleep in, I read in bed, I go on long walks through the neighborhood. I write stories longhand. But I'm getting tired of playing catchup on everything from sleep to reading, and I still want to destroy the system.

How do I bring the weekend calm into my school days?

I think I can see part of the solution. On Thursday I finished a short story in the Unwise Ones storyline, a rather conventional school tournament story that introduces the main characters. At no point in the story did I really enjoy my writing; at no point did I break through the membrane between creator and creation, and live in the story.

It was a mediocre piece of writing, and I am somewhat disappointed, but now I know that I have to go deep. I may have finished revising the Utopia Project, but I must take up permanent residence in the dark waters of the mind.

So that this is not yet another complaining post, I shall offer some resources I shall use to help me. I'm not doing NaNoWriMo this year after all (everything, it seems, sneaks up on me when I'm chasing grades - I didn't do anything for Halloween either), but in the spirit of high word counts:

How I Went from Writing 2000 Words a Day to 10000 Words a Day by Rachel Aaron, with good practical advice.

For spiritual inspiration, I give you Holly Lisle's blog and Writing a Novel, by Theodora Goss:
But when I do work on [the novel], which is at least every other day, it’s hard to come back out. For a little while, I’m living so intensely inside my head, and when I come out, sometimes I forget what day it is, what I was supposed to do. I just want to be back in London with my girl monsters...
...because the novel is an expansion, it seems, of her excellent short story The Mad Scientist's Daughter. Reading the blog post, you can tell that she loves the story, that it means something, that working on it is more than just a chore.

May all our stories do the same for us.

1 comment:

  1. Feeling something you created was mediocre is the WORST thing, even worse than something plain out bad in my opinion. You should go back to being excited and living inside your stories, easier said than done i know, but it sounds like you're on your way back! Good luck!
    I would love to give you some advice on how to make your school days special too, but i got nothing right now i'm sorry, just that i understand. Maybe when you get inspired again in what you love to do (i.e. write) everything else will follow, every day will go back to being more exciting :)

    ReplyDelete