Friday, November 23, 2012

Firmament

To the starlight, which
Has traveled a very long
Way: I'm glad you came.

-

Written November 2012.

-
(source)
-

Last night, after my family got back from a Thanksgiving party at which I watched Inception for the fourth time and ate about six chocolate-chip cookies, I noticed, for the first time in a long time, the stars. So I stood out in the yard for a while, my cat twining around my ankles, and stared up at the sky.

Everything fades. You are small, small, small - but it's not a bad feeling. The universe is so large. There's room in it for you to breathe.

A piece of scientific knowledge that never, ever grows stale:
"We are star stuff, a part of the cosmos...I'm not just speaking generically or metaphorically here. The specific atoms in every cell of your body, my body, my son's body, the body of your pet cat, were cooked up inside massive stars. To me, that is one of the most amazing conclusions in the history of science, and I want everybody to know about it."
-Alek Filippenko, quoted in The Canon by Natalie Angier

-

If you tilt your head back far enough, you can feel as though you're about to fall into the night sky. And maybe you can.

A small suggestion:
(source)

No comments:

Post a Comment