Thursday, September 6, 2012

Thus Spake Zarathustra, pt. I

Ich bin der Ubermensch.

No, not yet really. But I just finished reading Thus Spake Zarathustra, by Friedrich Nietzsche, and while I certainly don't agree with/understand everything, a lot of what he says sets my mind on fire.

"Verily, a polluted stream is man. One must be a sea, to receive a polluted stream without becoming impure." (7)
This ties in very nicely with one of my deepest-held beliefs: that the sea is more powerful than anything else on earth.

"I tell you: one must still have chaos in one, to give birth to a dancing star. I tell you: ye have still chaos in you." (11)
Through my Unwise Ones stories, I'm gradually coming into the view that universe is not good v. evil, but chaos v. order - and the lines between good and bad are not neat. Chaos pervades life just as much as it pervades death; for order, likewise.

Says a buffoon: "It was thy good fortune to associate with the dead dog; by so humiliating thyself thou has saved thy life today." (15)
Only they who are of no consequence are safe. In the future, I will have to chose safety or greatness; I hope to have the courage to choose the latter and the luck to end up well.

"Not to the people is Zarathustra to speak, but to companions!...

Companions, the creator seeketh, not corpses - and not herds or believers either. Fellow-creators the creator seeketh - those who grave new values on new tables...

Companions, the creator seeketh, and such as know how to whet their sickles. Destroyers, will they be called, and despisers of good and evil. But they are the reapers and rejoicers." (17-18)
You are my companion, if you read this. It's what Justine Musk says your tribe or Theodora Goss calls your family.
"When you crashed on this planet, or were left on this planet, or however you got here, you lost your family. Your family became separated, and different members grew up in different places. You didn’t even know you were aliens, although you always felt different, didn’t you? But one day, probably around adolescence, you noticed the lizard skin underneath the human surface. And you realized that you were an alien and started wondering, were there others like you? So you set out to find those others."
-Theodora Goss, Finding Your Family
Not that I mean to imply that Goss is as egotistical as I am, in identifying with Nietzsche (and even with the title "Destroyers"), but we're all three of us INTJs. Make of that what you will.

"[The lion's] last Lord it here seeketh [in the wilderness]: hostile will it be to him, and to its last God; for victory will it struggle with the great dragon.

...'Thou-shalt,' is the great dragon called. But the spirit of the lion saith, 'I will.'" (24)
I think I am rather more tiger-like, for lions live in prides. And I have compunctions about fighting dragons. Yet, in my sixteenth year I'm becoming more of a typical teenager in that always, in the back of my mind, insurrection simmers. I don't automatically respect those in authority anymore.

Good.

"I carried mine own ashes to the mountain" (29)
My mind exploded at this line. The image burns - raw, stark, silhouetted against everything that I've imagined a thorough ordeal might be. I carried mine own ashes to the mountain. Gods.

Who are the backworldsmen?

--

By the way, an awesome insult: "Ye have made your way from the worm to man, and much within you is still worm." (6)

As I process what I have read, I will continue to share the things that cause my mind to turn and my breath, perhaps, to quicken. For we are companions, you and I, and we reap and rejoice.

1 comment:

  1. keep sharing, food for thought is just as important as food for the belly! xx

    ReplyDelete