Friday, July 20, 2012

Small Adventures

I am discontent.

This always happens once the halfway mark of summer vacation has passed and the long slide back to the school year begins. When I look at what I've done during the summer it doesn't match with what I wanted to do. I begin to feel as though I've wasted my time.

Such defeatist thinking is unacceptable in a magician, especially a magician who is also a hero. The cure?

I'm still working on that. But I suspect it involves seeing the world through the lens of story: of recognizing and creating adventures.

-

It would have been nice, this summer, to go on a quest to restore balance in the universe, to battle Titans, to foil a plot to poison a king. I did not do any of these.

What did I do?

-go on long walks and runs, getting lost in my own hometown
-buy used books from my library
-climb a fence to get to the band room
-read under the blankets by flashlight
-write out a web of ideas for a venture called protagonist club
-sprawl beneath my desk with a book
-sit on a bench in the rose garden of the local park coming up with story ideas
-eat lunch on a second-story open area
-inspect a middle school mosaic encrusted with keys and pendants
-conclude through inductive reasoning that "dead end" is often a lie

Adventures are no less adventures because they are small.

-

More await. I go from far to near:

Band camp starts a week from Monday and my team captain and I will discuss who we want to draft.

Next week I have plenty of free time in which I can read and go on walks and draw, since I haven't done nearly enough of that.

Tomorrow my dad is going to start teaching me how to drive.

Tonight, I'll watch a movie and work on a picture of Sir Thomas Boone and his sister Lady Euphrosyne Barrington wielding, respectively, a dragoon musket and a cannon.

Even before that, I will sit, in a dusty golden solitude, and with the real-life Euphrosyne play the song of summer's end.

--

Postscript: as I wrote this post I read this piece about INTJs, ending with this line: "they will make a game out of their actual life".

Replace "game" with "story" and you have, precisely, my point.

No comments:

Post a Comment