Friday, January 27, 2012

Gleanings

Gemma Augustea. Source: Wikipedia

Some posts from Patricia C. Wrede: one about fantastic history, what I call historical fantasy. If you have any fantasy works with a historical setting, you might like to see which of the four categories your story falls under.

Another warning against overcomplicated stories. I don't regret writing Utopia Project the way i did, but the next book I write is definitely going to have a more manageable number of characters.

And another, on story endings. And a fourth, about making decisions in writing. Know thine characters.

Justine Musk has 6 Rules for Badass Creative Women, though from my view they apply to both genders.

Some articles from Endicott Studio that I found interesting: snake symbolism, gemstones, and Italian fairies.

Take a walk.

Awesome art from Yoann Lossel.

Monika Viktoria has drawn a witch's daughter, a character about whom I could - and shall - write stories. Perhaps you will as well.

On Being a Writer: "You must learn to pare away everything, until all you have left is that core of what's most important, and then build your life outward from that." The whole post resonates, but that line especially.


Address Is Approximate from The Theory on Vimeo.
Found through Terri Windling's blog.

A resource: All Empires.

Theodora Goss writes on the difference betweenwriter and author. I'd rather be a writer.

A note of encouragement. I will tell you that it amounts to being unafraid of letting your writing change you, but I suggest you read the post in its entirety.

The author of Imaginary Girls (which I haven't read yet, but want to) talks about inspiration.

Knights and PTSD. If you're writing a story with knights, which I am on and off, you'll want to read this to consider the psychology of your characters.

More about knights; in specific, their training.

Evolution of Monsters. I like scientific reasons for fantasy-related things - particularly that there is fantasy embedded into our genes.

Claire Massey with confessions: "I could find not escape, but resilience in imagination."


ten things i have learned about the sea from lorenzo fonda on Vimeo.
More for the music and video than the words, since if there is something I have learned about the ocean it is that it is older than words and cannot be ruled.

No comments:

Post a Comment