Friday, November 25, 2011

Thank You

Thank you to the plum tree that, according to legend (or my dad's stories), sheltered the Li family when their home was being attacked.

Thank you to my parents for taking the chances that they did, and crossing the vast Pacific on nothing but hope, guts, and a scholarship.

Thank you to my sister for being, alternately and all at once, a menace, a role model, annoying, infuriating, and wonderful.

Thank you to my friends for making me laugh and realize that I don't have to take everything so seriously.

Thank you to my ex-friends for the memories, and for making me who I am.

Thank you to the boy I liked in fourth grade, for teaching me never again to talk myself into liking someone I don't know.

Thank you to the boy for whom I wrote this, for keeping me up late with desperate pleas for essay help, for making me smile, and for agreeing with me when I say that math makes everything better.

Thank you to the buried authors who have shaped my mind and my writing and my life.

Thank you to my critics, for spurring me with anger.

Thank you to my cat, for ignoring me sometimes so that the times of affection are all the more treasured. Also for choosing me as her favorite.

Thank you to the nights when I go to bed disappointed with myself, for telling me what I need to do and for teaching me that sometimes, you just need patience. (Though that's one lesson I don't know if I'll ever learn.)

Thank you to the sun and the atmosphere and dihydrogen monoxide, for letting me live.

Thank you to you, for listening.

No comments:

Post a Comment