Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Sekhmet

Her mouth is dotted with blood
Dark on her white fur
Her eyes stare up at me
As I carry her down the stairs
She is asking me
Why can I not eat?
Why can I not hunt?

And I tell her
Of diseases that hide
From her keen cat-eyes
That the limp figure
Trailing from her mouth
May be, among the two,
The better killer.

And I tell her she is wrong
I do not hold her back
I tell her
Hunt
Stalk the rodents, stalk and kill
As your ancestors would
In the wide fields -
In the deserts -
Among the rushes by the Nile
I know it is not for food
I know it is for instinct
For the whisper embedded in your primal brain.

Do what you do
My little black-and-white lioness
I'm proud of you, darling.

--

Inspired by a certain incident last Friday night when my cat came running in with a dead mouse.

Hm. Needs more revision.

2 comments:

  1. Mmmh, not too much revision ok? it sounds pretty good to me

    hope you are good!

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I've been taking your advice and trying to find things to like about school...it's working pretty well so far. :)

    ReplyDelete