Friday, October 7, 2011

Read in September

I didn't do a lot of reading this month. It's a shame. I've already explained my response to Wild Mind, by Natalie Goldberg, quite thoroughly, so I'm leaving it out.

Of the books I read this month, the first was my favorite.

The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure
The Number Devil: A Mathematical Adventure by Hans Magnus Enzensberger

In fact, this is one of my favorite books ever. I checked it out of the library again on a whim and I love it just as much as I did when I was seven, or whenever I read it first.

If you gave a copy of this book to every schoolchild, we would not have a problem with lack of interest in math. I have always believed firmly that math is fun, and this book vindicates me. Triangle numbers are my favorites.

Okay, look, this book can explain permutations and combinations to children and make it both understandable and fun. Genius!

Comparable to: The Phantom Tollbooth.

I finished the Alex Rider series, by Anthony Horowitz. I'll recommend that series only as a guilty pleasure.

This next I checked out on a whim.

A Plague of Sorcerers: A Magical Mystery
A Plague of Sorcerers: A Magical Mystery by Mary Frances Zambreno

I was not disappointed. The characters varied in how much I dis/liked them. Most of all, I want to read more from the author - what a fascinating magic system! The titular plague's resolution was unexpectedly dark, and I did not know whether to class the perpetrator as a victim or not. I felt that the book's ending petered out disappointingly, but the preceding story was enough to excuse it.

Randomly choosing something from the children's section has proved to be a rewarding system. I must get back to it.

I read the second book of Howard Whitehouse's Mad Misadventures of Emmaline and Rubberbones series, a lighthearted, quirky adventure series set in Victorian England. More for younger children, but I like it.

The last book I read this month was Little Brother, by Cory Doctorow. I don't recommend it - it made me want to plan things, but the writing was not very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment