Friday, October 14, 2011

A Change of Scene

I moved my computer from the end of our never-used dining room table to a plastic box on top of an old TV stand.

It is so much better.

--

Why?

When I look up I see a blank wall*. When I look to the left, I see outside.

The blank wall is like a blank page.  It is where our thoughts will live, it is the space that is just there, silent, still, yet a challenge by virtue of its very blankness.

Where are your words, writer girl? it asks. Tell me. Where. Are. Your. Words?

I respond as I always do to a challenge. Come at me, wall-bro. Or rather, I will come at you, with words aplenty. You cannot defeat a magician-in-training so easily.

*(Okay, it's not really a blank wall. There's a switch that doesn't, so far as I know, do anything. But that's useful, that can work its way into a story.)
--

The yard is just as important. As a book someone really awesome recommended to me says, outside lies magic. From my old desk I could not see the sky. Why would I choose that? Why look at clutter, at piles of old schoolwork (my sister's, not mine - I'm too much of a neat freak to leave papers about), when I can instead rest my eyes upon the big stone planters and the wall where my cat sits?

When spring comes, my dad will coax the planters into bursting with flowers. But the yard is more beautiful now, with its barrenness and the moss on the stone walls. What need have I for lushness? Is not the empty, the incomplete, just as admirable?

So many spaces. Surely one holds possibility.

--

Maybe it's just the novelty. Maybe I'm going to give up and move back to the real table, where the printer cable is just a foot away. Maybe I'm going to go back to staring at an uninspiring mess. Maybe I'm going to give up the white curtains and the blank wall and the rolling chair.

I don't think so.

--

I am still writing in a corner (literally, not figuratively); yes.

But it is a better corner.

Sometimes you just need a change of scene.

4 comments:

  1. Good for you! Sounds like the new spot is much better, i say keep it..! Be inspired!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comments always make me smile. See? :)

    I don't know that my new desk makes me more productive, but I do like it better even if it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nathaniel Hawthorne wrote facing the wall. Henry David Thoreau wrote facing the window. It's interesting to see how much the scenery can influence writing style.

    Just be careful that you don't drift toward more than another. Because frankly, Hawthorne was a pretty boring writer. If you become a Hawthorne, I reserve the right to give you a swift kick in the pants and get you back on the right track, young lady! *shakes fist of duum* ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I shall become a Li and no other. :)

    Good to know you've got my back! Haha.

    ReplyDelete