Saturday, May 28, 2011

Caduta

I

I can’t do it.
My dreams will not let me fly
My wings are saturated with the rain
And my bones are too heavy
I can’t get off the ground
I can’t reach that hard bright sky
No wind stings my eyes and cheeks
I can’t get closer to the sun
I’m always slipping
Falling back down to the ground
The sky is a body and I am the rejected organ
And so I slam into the ground
Or maybe I don’t
(Because I couldn’t get off the ground in the first place)
And it is dirt and concrete
Not air beneath my feet
And these wings flap uselessly, and I think
Maybe some people are just not meant to fly.

II

Don’t be sorry
The sky is not the only place
I wade out into a sea of dreams
Until a shelf breaks beneath my feet
And I slip into a chasm of blue
But I breathe
When there is no ground
I can fall eternally
There is forever beneath me
And strange monsters lurk in the deep
And in the blackness I cannot see
(It’s terrifying)
But the shark is my brother
And the anglerfish will light my way
I am safe in the embrace of a sea monster
Sometimes I want to disappear
So I am salt in water
Raindrops merging with the waves
And I sink into the dark without control
Because I trust this, I do, and
Maybe some people are just meant to drown.

--

Maybe I'm one of them.

3 comments:

  1. Orrrr maybe you're meant to walk on the land,
    Feeling a little less special than before,
    But still alive, still breathing,
    Still free to try to fly again,
    Or go wading in the oceans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd prefer to think that way. c:

    ReplyDelete