Tuesday, March 29, 2011

How Not to Act

Would you like to see a veritable gem of professionalism, dignity, and class?

Then don't click on the above link.

By now, the saga of Jacqueline Howett has pretty much become a meme.  In case you don't know about it, though, the author rages at a somewhat negative but extremely fair review and generally acts in an extremely, shall we say, lulzcow-esque way. For someone like me (filled with schadenfreude), it was very amusing.

However, it seems to me that the problem is not only with the author (though her behavior is clearly less than stellar). The later commenters are also conducting themselves poorly by flogging a dead horse and continuing to tear into the author even though all that needs to be said on the subject has already been said.

See, when others start taking potshots at her mental health, it kind of makes me want to be a devil's advocate. All in all, the blog owner made a good choice by disallowing further comments.

And another example of a writer taking a review poorly. You (ghost who is the sole reader of my blog) can decide which is worse.

Personally, I love critiques (caveat: I haven't gotten enough exposure to receive a really negative one). How else am I going to get an objective perspective on my writing? If someone is taking time out of their day to help a writer improve, the least the writer can do is respond graciously.

No comments:

Post a Comment