Friday, January 7, 2011

6 Ways to Make Writing Essays Easier

1. Don't be afraid to transplant sentences. Sometimes I'll come up with a killer line that I know would have better effect at the end/beginning/someplace other than where it originated.

2. Start in media res. I usually write [introduction goes here] in front of my thesis, then go straight to the body paragraphs. You can always go back and write in a real introduction.

3. Listen to music that you like, but that won't distract you, while writing. This is also helpful while studying.

4. Use a thesaurus, but be careful about slight changes in meaning, and avoid colloquial words.

5. Take a break every now and then.

And one that I really need to learn:

6. Do not fear splitting up long, unwieldy sentences.

See the guide for in-class essays here.

No comments:

Post a Comment